Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Ketchup

A whole lot of nothing... and everything. That is what is going on in the Blair House. We are keeping busy enough that I cannot blog about what we are doing, yet not busy enough to remove the desire to want to share it.


Emily attended an Art Class today at the Charleston Library. She learned about cubism and oil paint. A.J. barely missed the age cutoff :-( Carnegie Public Library is VERY nice! I look forward to future visits. I always feel like I am cheating on my local library when we use the larger libraries in the network. I'm sure the library doesn't feel like we have that kind of relationship. I do use inter-library loan, but there is just something so fun about strolling through all the aisles looking at all the book covers. A.J. needed to create art once we were back home. Of course, that was quickly squelched once the neighbor kids were home from school. There are Lego towns to be developed and footballs to be thrown.



A few weeks ago, we field tripped to the Apple Orchard. The staff was very friendly and I felt very welcome. The kids learned about how the apples and bees work together and how the fruit is harvested. The apple pickers are paid per bushel. Hard work rewarded. I think there is a life lesson in that. The farm animals are always the highlight of the show. A beautiful black and white horse was eager to interact with the children. There was a baby cow trying to nurse from his mother but wasn't having much luck. He kept hitting her udders with his head. Ouch. I laugh as I write this...






A few Saturdays ago, the kids and I went with my sister-in-law and niece to the Great Pumpkin Patch. I was very impressed. All the produce is well organized, the mazes are well kept, and there is even an old school house that has been restored.






Our Idaho family trip was a lot of fun! Ray spoke at the Men's Retreat in Island Park (i think?). Terri started a new job the same week. It was a really enjoyable time. The kids and Ray's cousin Ashley and I went to the Southeastern Idaho State Fair. That was fun! My nephews and nieces are stinkin ADORABLE! I love every minute of being with them!

island park


Emily's birthday party
THE BEST DESSERT EVER!!!!!!


So, schooling is going great. We are all settled in our new house. I am not looking forward to winter but it will come regardless, so I might as well go with it. I will finish out with a picture of A.J. sporting Miss Ashley's sunglasses at church.

4 comments:

Victoria L. Stankus said...

So glad to see you are back blogging again! Loved looking at all the pictures and seeing what you all have been up to!

the Queen :) said...

Ok, here's a little farm girl trivia. I think that the calf was having alright luck eating. Even when you bottle feed a calf they jerk into the "udder" (although I realize that a bottle isn't an udder)like that even when you know there is milk coming out. I think it is a way for them to get more milk to "come in" so my semi educated guess would be either he was nearing the end of his feeding and was trying to shake down the last drop OR he was just in a hurry. :) So there ya go...more than you even wanted to know about nursing calves. HA

Blair Bunch said...

I like your calf trivia Kelli! Apparently the calf had some rejection issues and had to be bottle fed for 1 week. It made me wonder if a cows milk dries up if it doesn't nurse like other mammals. And Yes, we have now made this a gross conversation. ha!!! Thanks Vicky! I enjoy your blog too! I been trying to catch up on everyone's blogs! :-)

Terri said...

Just read your blog. I LOVED it! You're such a good writer, Melissa. The pictures of the kids at the orchard and pumpkin patch brought back memories of when Raymond and Jennie were that age, and we used to go to those kinds of places. Thanks for sharing.