Friday, November 12, 2010

Day Four (sunday)

Day Four
Sunday morning was eagerly anticipated. I absolutely could not wait to have my first cup of coffee. Not only was it on a Sunday, the most serene day of the week, but also daylight saving time. I awoke amazingly refreshed. What a great day to drink coffee. Maybe I could sneak a cup over to Sunday school where I teach the preschool class and enjoy coffee well into the 9 o'clock hour. But that dream slowly faded as I heard J-bear cough like a barking seal. He sounded as if he was going to be very sick very soon. I had to resist the urge to call my work sugar momma (the PA-C) and see how we should treat this precious little cough. But since she wouldn't actually get paid to give me this information, I figured I would at least give her the courtesy to wait until later in the day. At that point, I knew he had no business coughing on everyone at church. So, I already figured I would be keeping him home.

I trotted into the kitchen wrapped in my fuzzy red robe with my hair all disheveled and there stood my pastor, which would have been completely awkward if we weren't married. He had already began cooking the coffee or whatever you call it. It smelled really good! I was excited to try some more creamer and find out just which flavor sets me apart from the rest of the non-coffee drinking world. I've got to know how I like "my coffee". Soon I'll be ordering this stuff at a restaurant and I can't have people knowing that I have no idea what I'm talking about. (sounds like I need a sermon on pretense... or maybe contentment... hmmm???) So he pours me a cup of Joe(what does that even mean?) and I put a splash of french vanilla in it. Mmmmm good!!!! Well, I mean sorta good. Good enough to drink it on a regular basis. I was able to choke quite a bit of it down. I decided to send a quick prayer request via text message to my mother-in-law and ask for prayer for J-bear's cough. I also made quick mention that I was drinking a cup of coffee. No big deal, I just slip it in there as if I've drank coffee for years. Of course, she is my fairy coffee godmother and is quite aware of just how long I've been drinking coffee. 1.5 days. I was shocked with horror that she was surprised I was drinking coffee. So I took a quick picture to send to her.



Ray gathers his things and heads down the long winding path to the church leaving me with the supposedly ill child and the little blonde girl. Little blonde girl is already dressed and ready for church. This comes as no surprise to anyone who knows her well. Her internal alarm has been set consistently over the last 9 years to awaken her 30 minutes prior to anytime I would EVER consider setting my alarm. And then she checks on me about every 4 minutes. Just long enough between visits to re-enter that state of deep comforting sleep. She always has very important questions that can't possibly wait until 8 o'clock(or 9 or 10). She whispers: "mommy can i have a popsicle?", "mommy can i paint my nails?", "mommy can i rearrange the furniture the basement?". yes, yes, and YES!! Gotta love that girl and her God gifted morning-ness. Anyway, the kids enter the kitchen very interested in trying some coffee. I pour J-bear a cup because he has drank his dad's hairy coffee several times in the past. He takes a few sips and my meek and mild coffee isn't his cup of tea. So he sticks around in the Blair Cafe just for the atmosphere.



Little Blonde girl wants her coffee on ice. Which happens to be a perfect idea since in my coffee escapades I have used up all the clean coffee mugs. She just loved her Iced Coffee treat and practically chugs it down like the antidote. Now finished with her morning pick-me-up, she heads over to church.

My heart began to glow as I realized I was now prepared to read my bible study AND drink coffee. I was taking something that I loved and introducing it to something I am trying really hard to love. It was a beautiful moment. There I was: red fuzzy housecoat, cup of roasted coffee and just a touch of french vanilla creamer, and my Elizabeth George bible study. "Putting on a Gentle and Quiet Spirit", a study of 1 Peter. (ironic) Now this isn't just ANY bible study. This is expository at its best. I have a unique learning style and this gal can teach it! I never fully understood the term grace and how its applied correctly until I started this lesson. Grace = unmerited favor. Her Esther study turned on the light for my understanding of providence. Anyway, as I basked in the wonderfulness of the moment I decided to throw in a load of laundry. I didn't need to make lunch since we were having lunch with my parents, so I went ahead and took the cooked chicken breast from the fridge and shredded the meat for supper and a few meals this week. Next, I did a few dishes and another load of laundry. At that point, J-bear had decided he was fine and insisted on playing outside. I informed him it would not be appropriate to play outside during church if we did not attend church which happens to be 40 yards away. He then stated "well, let's go to church then." Little late for that since it was after ten and I was still completely disheveled! So he went back to playing in his room like a good little boy and I went back to cleaning. Once I was able to see the floor in my bedroom I decided to run the vacuum over it... and the living room... and the hallway. I did one more load of laundry and cleaned up my bathroom. Finally I heard the loud crunching of distant car doors shutting. Church was over. Soon my BFF would be home! Hooray!

As Ray walked in the house he had a very serious expression. "What's wrong?", I questioned. "Nothing is wrong", he smiled, "just don't ever let Emy have coffee before church." he firmly but lovingly stated. Apparently, she was quite wound up and had trouble obeying her father. "Okay, Sorry!", I innocently spoke. The conversation continued but my mind drifted to my productive morning compared to Emily's uncharacteristic behavior. At that moment, DING! (the realization light bulb going off again) OOOOOOOOoooooooooooooohhhhhh!! So that's why I had 3 loads of laundry washed, 4 chicken breasts deboned including one entire meal prepared, dishes washed, bathroom cleaned, AND vacuuming done in and hour and a half. NOW I get why everybody has to have "their coffee"!


A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems. - Paul Erdos

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

annie, i will have the pot of coffee ready for you and raymond next (BLACK)friday morning before you go shopping, all the cleaning supplies are in the hall closet!!! lol love mom

the Queen :) said...

This is the perfect example of why I drink "half caff." I twitch like that for the ENTIRE day on the real stuff! Half caff does it just right! :)

Greg & Stephanie said...

You crack me up! It really is sad that we tend to condemn addictive behavior and then have a vice such as this...
Last night, after finishing my speech at our women's meeting, I was really feeling tired. It was 10:00, and I knew I had to go home and pay bills, so I dipped into my stash of Starbucks bottled drinks, and downed one on the way home. Well, two hours later, the bills were paid, my shower was done, the Sunday ads were browsed, and I was still wired. Knowing I had to teach this morning, I went to bed anyway...bad decision. So, this morning I had to dip into the stash again, just to appear alert...what a vicious cycle! :)