Friday, November 5, 2010

THE GREAT COFFEE ADVENTURE

I've decided I am going to start drinking coffee. Here I will chronicle my journey...

A little background: 1. I have never drank a cup of coffee in my life 2. I have a serious addiction to soda (caffeine) every morning but need to stop drinking soda 3. My Dad has made at least one pot of coffee every single day since I was born. 4. My mom doesn't like coffee nor does my brother. 5. I love love love the smell of coffee, but cannot handle the bitter taste. 6. My husband loves dark french roast coffee (which may be why he is so hairy) 7. My mother-in-law loves coffee and is my trainer for the Coke to COFFEE 5K.

Please follow me in this next 30 days as I make the transition. (i couldn't possibly take longer than that)

Day 1

I have made the decision to drink coffee. It looks so cool. Morning people drink coffee. Maybe if I drink coffee I will be cool and get up early to drink coffee. Then Ray and I can talk about World Peace and the new bestsellers we are reading. I think I will start reading books too. One thing at a time... So, I reached toward the best person I knew to get me through this. My mother-in-law. That woman loves her coffee, and she loves me a lot. So that's a good pair! So I sent her a text prayer request... "could you pray for me that I can start drinking coffee?" Yes, go ahead and laugh. I was laughing too. So was she. She got the point, though. To make a long story shorter she told me to get Breakfast Blend Folgers and lots of refrigerated creamer. And absolutely DON'T drink Raymond's hairy coffee.


DAY 2-Today

Since it was too late to go to the store last night, I picked up my supplies during my lunch hour. So to start the morning out right I needed to feel like a coffee drinker. So as I grabbed my coat out of the coat closet I was sure to grab my Pea Coat. Fancy coffee drinkers wear pea coats. I don't normally wear my pea coat to work since I mess with blood and guts and stuff of that nature. So I was set. And since I have no coffee to drink I stopped at Circle K for a hot chocolate. I didn't think gas station coffee was the best way to introduce this to my palate.


So I headed to work wearing my black pea coat with my cup of "coffee". I asked Heather to take my picture drinking my "coffee" so I could see just how cool I looked. As you can see, awesome indeed. As I admired the photo I envisioned myself saying things like; "I've GOT to have my coffee, you don't even want to see me before I have my coffee." and "This is the worst pot of coffee I've ever had, remember that quaint bistro where the house blend was AMAZING and we talked for hours.(thoughtful sigh)..." And no longer being intimidated by the guy behind the counter at Starbucks, not to mention the 30 people in line behind me that can tell I clearly don't know what a Grande Mocha Choke-a Gag-a Latta (or whatever) is.



So finally lunch time arrived and we all had a nice lunch out together. After we filled our guts with pizza the gang all went our separate ways. Angie and I headed to the IGA in a quest to find the perfect coffee. She looked beautiful in curly locks today but refused to be in the pics. I told her there is no choice on Monday so she better come to work looking blog-worthy hot. So I found the coffee isle. No, I didn't know which one had the coffee.


She started to peer pressure me into powdered creamer in a gentle "here's this stuff" kinda way, but I remembered the loving words from my mother in law... "start with liquid creamer" as she floated over my left shoulder in a pink ballgown with embroidered coffee cups on it. So we headed to the milk section. I'm sure that liquid stuff had to be there. I was right on the money. So Ang and I start grabbing stuff left and right. As we head to the check-out I dropped creamer bottles at least twice and we were now giggling so hard that incontinence had become a concern. If we just would have grabbed a basket...


So we headed back to work and I placed my new goodies in the fridge.(because Angie reminded me they needed refrigerated) Then I ended up LEAVING them at work when I ran from there in a hurry at 5. So, it looks like my first cup of coffee will be tomorrow afternoon post coffee retrieval. I look forward to my Sunday cup too because that will be my first cup after day-light saving time. That has to be monumental.

3 comments:

Stephanie Lynn Burley said...

Ok, you have me laughing! I like coffee, but it hasn't helped me kick the soft drink habit, unfortunately. My suggestions are to stick with Folgers made in a Bunn coffee maker. My brother was amazed that the Bunn really makes the difference. Definitely don't do the powdered creamer unless you are totally out of other options. There are awesome, reasonablly priced dairy creamers out there. The holiday flavors should be out now...love peppermint mocha and vanilla caramel. Throw some whipped topping in there, and you have a drink to die for! Do I take this thing too seriously? :) Looking forward to following your journey! BTW, your handbag is totally coffee-drinking chic, and I plan to invest in a pea coat, since you insist that it promotes the image...

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK, YOUR DAD ALWAYS HAS A POT OF COFFEE READY!!!!! THE SMELL GREAT THE TASTE UGH!!!!! MOM

Terri said...

Just, fyi, the distinctive feature of a Bunn coffeemaker is that it always has a reservoir of hot water, so it brews fast. You pour the cold water in, and already-hot water moves through the ground coffee. Then, the water you just poured in becomes the heated water. HOWEVER, I just bought a Sears Kenmore coffee maker (in red, just to be swanky), and it brews coffee in about 2 minutes. It only cost about $45, whereas the Bunns are more expensive.

But anyway, as your trainer and MIL, I wanted to applaud your efforts. I agree about the peacoat and handbag - just the right touches for a coffee-drinking-girl-on-the-go:)

Love,
MIL