Monday, November 8, 2010

Day Three of the Great Coffee Adventure

DAY THREE

I awoke Saturday morning to the aroma of hairy coffee. I would have preferred to wake up to the melodious sound of the church bells that start ringing at noon, but the kids had company, so I was socially obligated to get up at an appropriate hour. I ran into town later that morning to pick up my coffee from the Slammer, as we employees prefer to call it. (just kidding, I love my job) Following that I planned to run a few errands and then head to Arndt's to pick out my 1st coffee cup. It was important to find just the right cup, i mean... I would spend every morning for the rest of my life with this cup. Or at least until my next birthday... because people who like coffee get coffee paraphernalia for their birthdays: coffee cups, coffee beans, coffee gift cards, etc. So I'm looking at a good 8 months at least.
Emily and I walked into the Hallmark type store and I felt my adrenaline begin to build. There is nothing like the rush of navigating a breakables store where the slightest wrong move could have you buying that china set you always wanted except this time it's in 10,000 pieces. We began to peruse the "you break it you buy it" isles and this beautiful and very cheaply made Christmas cup jumps right out at me as if we were long lost friends reuniting after many years! "Hey You! How's it Going?!!!",says the little red cup.

It was love at first sight. As I envisioned myself drinking from this cup I thought how the beautiful red would make my brown locks glow and the glossy finish would give my teeth just the right reflection to shine. It read Merry Kissmas... Ray and I would just smile at how cleaver it was as we looked into each others eyes as we drank our coffee loving each other more than we ever had. With a sigh of relief, I was ready to head to the checkout. When, suddenly, my warm thoughts came to a screeching halt. I HATE mornings. My hair sticks up everywhere. My teeth feel gross as if I coated them with sweet and sour sauce the night before. And I am MEAN. Not "awe isn't she sassy" mean, I'm "somebody took Momma bears' baby cubs, honey jar, AND last pack of cigarettes MEAN"!!! I didn't even realize just how far from coffee harmony I was. Coffee people aren't mean, they're happy. They love coffee AND mornings! So at this point, I have to find a way to get a coffee cup that won't irritate me with it's friendliness but give me the ability to properly disguise my grouchiness! So after searching a while longer I found the right cup. Lucy with Snoopy reads: If everybody agreed with me they'd all be right.

Perfect mix of mild sarcasm yet not completely rude. Even makes me laugh... coffee mornings here we come!!! So, the rest of the day is pretty busy. I baby sat my adorable niece for a little while. Then we decided to go watch MegaMind. Very entertaining by the way. So I guess I didn't actually drink a cup of coffee at that point. I wanted to stop at Starbucks and pretend I was busy texting while I was actually reading the message my sister-in-law Jennie sent me about what to order next time I'm there. But after signing over a portion of my inheritance to the movie theater, Ray and I felt designer coffee was a little excessive for one day's outing. So we ran by walmart and picked up a can of decaf and two more bottles of creamer. I was not going to make it another minute without "my coffee".

So we made it home and the debate began about exactly how much coffee grounds to put in the machine. We met in the middle to my dismay. I really should have stood my ground, but hey, coffee is supposed to be a time of peace and happiness that brings us together. So I throw on my red fuzzy housecoat over my clothes just so I get that early morning coffee riser feeling. But as Ray pours my first cup I sense a hint of bitterness. (i was about to sense a LOT of bitterness) I felt like I was the new kid. I couldn't tell if we were going to be new best friends or if he was going to put a "kick me" sign on my back when I wasn't looking. He was skeptical. I don't blame him. I especially didn't blame him after my first taste. BLAH!!!! How am I gonna do this?

So I added a bunch of creamer. Mental note: don't do that again! So I poured that one out and tried again. After experimenting with several different ways to doctor my coffee: sugar, creamer, nothing, I decided to consult the coffee pouring Yoda himself. Me: "What do you like about this gross stuff?" Yoda: "I like the roasted flavor" Me: OOOOoooohhhhhhh!! Roasted. I never thought of coffee as something roasted. So it's NOT supposed to tasted like hot chocolate?" Yoda: "No young skywalker". So with that, my relationship with coffee took it's turn. Drink Coffee, I Will. I need to see coffee as a way to counteract the sweet not create the sweet. Yoda says I just cracked the coffee code.

Named must your fear be before banish it you can -Yoda

3 comments:

Terri said...

Just read your 3-day blog. I LOVED it. You could write a book on "How To Learn to Love Coffee in Just 30 Days." You are quite a writer. I LOL'd many times as I read. I really think you did turn a corner when you realized that coffee has a roasted taste, not meant to BE sweet, but to COMPLIMENT sweet. Said the sweet treat to the coffee: "You complete me." As a long distance trainer, I couldn't be more proud. And the coffee cup you picked is perfect. Not too cutesy, but not too somber. Gotta keep it light (but not so cute it makes you want to break it.)

I really feel certain now that when I come to Illinois in late December, we'll be sharing many cups of coffee together.

Your greatest supporter,
MIL

Anonymous said...

ANNIE, YOU CRACK ME UP!!!!!!!

Adam & Val & Aubrey & Annie said...

Melissa, YOU are hilarious! I just got caught up on your coffee posts. I love coffee! (Almost) welcome to the club! ;)